I loaded Oscar up and took him to see Dr. Dave, who watched him try to walk around. Dr. Dave thought he might have a spine injury. (No, no, no, no! Not a spine injury!) So, I left the poor little guy there to have x-rays taken, and went home to worry about how Bob and I could possibly stand to lose another cat.
When I returned, we looked at Oscar's x-rays. The good news is that his spine is in pretty good shape. No problems with the vertebra. However, his right hip is really screwed up. The left hip socket goes out, and the right one faces in--Dr. Dave thinks its the result of a broken hip that didn't heal properly. Oscar probably irritated the injury by jumping on or off something. Who knows what other trauma might lurk in Oscar's past?
Oscar got a shot of cortisone, and he was sent home for bed rest.
The vet suggested I go Deseret Industries and buy a baby's play pen to put him in so he stays put and doesn't try to jump on things. A play pen! Well, there's no way Oscar is going to agree to sit in a play pen all day, so instead I rigged up a very nice sleeping area for him on the floor of Lindy's room (his room), and fortified the human bed with cushions from the couch and pillows. I lined them up around the outside so it'd be too high for Oscar to jump up on. He's been sleeping, curled up in a little ball, in his bed most of the day--strange behavior for the hyper little dude.
I'll let you know how the recovery goes. Poor little Oscar.
:-( Mr. Hammertime needs his hips to dance and bump into things! I hope he starts feeling better soon...
ReplyDeletePoor guy...but he's 2 legit 2 quit!
ReplyDelete