Friday, August 28, 2009

Ribbie and Oscar update

We've been to our vet again several times over the last few days, and there's good news and bad news. The good news is that Oscar has gained a pound (can you believe that? He was only 7.5 pounds to begin with!) so the throid medicine is totally working for him. He's as perky, hungry, and healthy as ever.

The bad news is that the vet added a new diagnosis to Ribbie's hyperthyroidism: dementia. She had a bad night on Wednesday, meaning that I had trouble rousing her and she would not eat, so we took her to the vet on Thursday to get hydrated. After he observed her during the day, he concluded that she is suffering from dementia. Poor little Ribbie.

She perked up after we brought her home, and she's been eating a little bit and has used the litter pan, but she's definitely not herself. She staggers when she walks and sleeps most of the time. She still purrs loudly whenever I sit down beside her to pet her, so at least that part of her is working.

The vet's advice was to keep trying to feed her and see how she does over the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, Ribbers... I hope she's okay. It's tough to be an elderly animal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well shit. Promise to just sit with her and pet her lots? That's probably the only thing that makes sense anymore. Give her a big squeeze for me, k? ):

    ReplyDelete