A few days ago he seemed unnaturally drawn to the window, and when I looked into the garden I saw why: A big old RAT was scooping up sunflower seeds discarded by the finches, stuffing 15-20 of them in his mouth, and running off to stash them in his house, which we believe is deep in our wood pile. He did this hundreds of times while Gus watched, making that clicking sound and swishing his tail madly. Yuck. Rats are gross.
On a cuter note, we also have mice living beneath the bird feeders. They've dug themselves a bunch of holes and seem to have built a city underground. Lots of mouse traffic involving horn-honking, crashes and whatnot. Bob wants to send Gus out there to eat the citizens, but I think mice are adorable, and I love the idea of having a mouse city built under my garden. Gus adores mice too. He told me.
Here is a tiny baby sticking his little head out of the entrance to the mouse city. He stared at Gus and me for a long time before he ventured out. Cute little guy. How could you not love a dime-sized rodent like this?
When Gus is not watching CAT TV, he is sacked out on my desk. What a fantastic office (and cat companion) I have. Now that he's been with us for a couple of months, Bob and I can say with confidence he is one of the special-est cats we've ever had, and we've had a lot of them.
We were disappointed to hear that Lindy and Chris's new baby is NOT going to be named Rodnocr Fon after all. We love the name Connor Ford, but we still think Rodnocr would have been more memorable.
We can't wait to meet the little guy. Go, Lindy, Go!
Maybe Rodnocr can be y'all's special nick name for him. I really like Norcon too. Like a really important cholesterol lowering drug. At any rate, I can't wait to meet him! And those are dang cute mice!
ReplyDeleteRats and mice are the #1 problem of having bird feeders, although rats more so than mice... And I think you are right, Rodnocr is indeed a high-quality name.
ReplyDelete