All summer long, the blue jays and magpies stole from the food we put in the feeder for our little squirrel family. The birds would pick through the feeder trying to get at the peanuts and sunflower seeds, knocking all the corn on the ground.
When the weather was warm and there was a lot of food around, the squirrels didn't seem that interested in the corn, but about two weeks ago, the squirrels started moving all the corn from the ground back into the squirrel feeder, one kernel at a time, presumably so they'll have plenty of food for the winter. They find one kernel, make sure it's corn, run up the tree, crawl into the feeder, and run back down again--millions of times. The ground is still blanketed with corn, so I guess I'll be watching them do this until the snow falls. Look at this cute little guy!
Squirrels are awesome. What an entertaining backyard you have - I would never get any work done.
ReplyDeleteIf they were really smart they'd make a little leaf backpack, put a bunch of corn in it, then deposit it all in the feeder. I'm just sayin'...
ReplyDeleteSmart and industrious!
ReplyDelete