Saturday, December 12, 2009

Let's review

Okay, just to recap the last couple of days: As you all probably know by now, for weeks Chris, Dunc, Betsy and I have been plotting a surprise mini-party for Bob on his birthday. I cooked a nice dinner for just the two of us, and D & B were set arrive in SLC at 7:45 PM--unbeknownst to Bob. Earlier in the day I told Bob the bakery hadn't finished his cake and I would have to go back at 7:30 to pick it up. In actuality, I planned to head to the hairport, pick up D & B, and Chris was going to arrive at our house at about the same time we got home. It was a beautiful plan.

As it turned out, D & B were re-routed to Spokane, and their new flight was to arrive in SLC earlier than scheduled. I was a little worried about getting my butt out to the airport by 7:00, but I thought I would make it. But then, the flight from Spokane was delayed a couple of times due to mechanical problems, and after that, it was CANCELLED. Duncan, Betsy, Chris and I exchanged about 45 phone calls while all of this was happening, which required me to have to talk in a secret code, because Bob was sitting right there and I couldn't very well say, "Your flight was delayed? So I should pick you up at the airport at 9:00?" So instead I said intelligent things like, "Dang. Hmmm. Okay. See you later."

After about the 43rd call we decided we would have to spill the beans, since Dunc and Betsy weren't going to arrive in SLC until Sunday morning. See, the problem was that the birthday cake said "Happy Birthday Bob and Betsy," which would have been hard to 'splain.


So, Chris came over at about 7:15 and we told Bob. Then, we had some cake and champagne, Bob and Chris played pool, and the next day and got up early to pick up Dunc and Betsy at the hairport. Later that day, Betsy had the "Betsy" part of the birthday cake.

Meanwhile, Jane drank milk from her favorite cup.


In summary, Bob had an eventful birthday, and all is well. The end.

4 comments:

  1. I certainly did have an eventful birthday and big surprise. Retrospectively, there were about a million clues, but I never even attempted to put any of it together. Naive? Linear? Estupido?

    Anyway, it's been wonderful having D and B home and they'll drive MK's Mazda back to its new home in Seattle. Worked out all around. Thanks to all, but, never, never a surprise B'day again. If so ---!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday to Bob and Betsy! And I love how Jane's fluff is squished up to fit into that glass of milk. Good kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your secret code sounds awesome- we should pretend all visits are secret visits so we can talk in code!

    And, of course, Happy Birthday Bob and Betsy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! And we're now home safe and sound with the Mazamobile (that's the Mazda's Beta-nickname) and home with the pup and the kitten.
    Thanks for an eventful few days. And happy bday again to all involved with bdays (in Dec, that is)!

    ReplyDelete