Thursday, April 22, 2010

No big deal

Not only did I not have to carbo-load last night; I didn't even run! They put me on a treadmill and had me walk up an increasingly steep incline until I was walking really fast. The biggest problem was, they didn't want me to fall off the back. Apparently some guy stopped running recently, and went right off the back, just like on the cartoons.

The cardiology clinic did an echo cardiogram (essentially an ultrasound of my heart) before and after I walked fast, and an EKG, and then they gave me a heart monitor which I'm supposed to wear for eight days. They want to know what my heart looks like when I sleep, and when I run, and they want me to push this button called "event" if I have any palpitations. The monitor, which is about 2" x 3", attaches to my waistband, and it has six wires that are affixed to various locations on my chest. It's quite attractive, especially since I wear it UNDER my shirt. (I look pregnant.)

The most interesting things about my visit were (1) they now have free valet parking at the U of U hospital, (2) many people who work at the U of U hospital are not required to smile as part of their jobs (what a bunch of sour pusses), and (3) the artwork on the wall at the clinic. You be the judge:

3 comments:

  1. Our old roommate Anna, totally had to wear the same thing. It may not be attractive, but at least you get to feel like you are a robot, or part Borg...

    The Bleeding Hearts and the quilt... really Cardio Clinic? Really? But valet parking ain't bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stress test sounds like loads o fun! I have some nice maternity clothes you can borrow during your monitor-wearing time (:

    I happen to like the bleeding hearts. They're very heart-shaped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the shape of the bleeding hearts. But the fact that there are two pictures of bleeding hearts probably means there are plenty more on different floors, which makes me concerned about the mental state of the chooser, which is most likely one of the nurses. I wouldn't go back there Momlette. It's dangerous bleeding heart territory.

    The whole process sounds like you'll be learning loads about yourself in the end, so I hope you do!

    ReplyDelete