Tuesday, May 4, 2010

How parents love us, part I

I.B. Henson II
I've heard Bob tell this story several times, and it always makes me cry.

When Bob was playing basketball at Southwest Texas, his dad used to drive all over the place to see Bob's "away" games. He was always in the stands yelling (“Go, Bobby!”) in his loud, booming voice, which apparently caused Bob great embarrassment.

During one of the games Bob was complaining about his dad to his friend Bruce, who said, “Look around, Bobby. How many fathers do you see in the stands who have driven across the state just to watch their son play basketball?”

Bob's dad really loved his son. I wish I could have known him.

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could have met him, too! I think being a parent must be the most harrowing experience, which is why it scares me so much. Children learn early how to abuse their parents and take them for granted. By the time they realize how great their parents are and what they sacrificed for them, sometimes it's already too late to tell them. So, just for the record, Logan loves you (and Bob) very much and so do I. You were/are great parents and your successful, independent, and free thinking children are proof that you did your job well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Momlette. Thanks for supporting me, even in my rebellious angsty teenage phase. Aren't you glad we all -well mostly- grow out of that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. As do I (love you)! Thank you for "driving" (flying) "across the state" (down to Texas) "to watch me play basketball" (to meet Riley and allow me some nap time). And for "watching me play basketball" all my life, and of course for teaching me that I'm always right, just like you!! (Chris isn't as excited about that one) xxoo (:

    ReplyDelete