Wednesday, May 5, 2010

How parents love us, part IV

Christine Henson (Bob's Mom, aka Mema)
I didn't know Bob's mom that well. When I met her, she was almost 80, and we visited her just once or twice a year. What I do know is that she lived for her family, had a great sense of humor, was devoted to her husband, and was a fantastic cook. She had a wonderful, deep Texas drawl, and she lived independently and even taught water aerobics until she was 90. And she was gorgeous.

Jan, Bobby and Christine Henson

Bob's mom showed her love for her family through her cooking. Every meal I ever had when we visited her was absolutely perfect, and she continued to cook big meals for us even as her health began to deteriorate. Bob says that from the time he left for college, she ALWAYS prepared her famous, fabulous chicken pot pie whenever he came home--his favorite of all of her special meals--and she always had a chocolate pie made--the dessert he loved the most.

Christine Henson's cooking legacy lives on through her sons. Bob and David (Bob's brother) now show their love for their families through cooking. Bob makes the second-best chicken pot pie in the world and desserts so good they can make you cry, and I swear David is the BBQ champion of the universe. Lucky me, lucky Laura (David's wife) and lucky us (our family)!

David also remembers his mom as a terrific cook, but he says she showed her love in other ways, too. She supported her kids through thick and thin, and was never judgmental about their choices in life. She also loved them by sheltering them from their dad--who had very high expectations and could be hard on the kids.

Bobby, Janis and David Henson

Christine Henson, Janis Shull, Christopher Henson, Sharon Henson

Christine Henson was a strong, loving woman who raised strong, responsible children--who now love their families the same way their mom loved them. It's pretty wonderful when the world works out that way.

Postscript from Holly:
What I find pretty amazing about Mema is that I always knew exactly who and what she was. There was no pretense with her. She spoke honestly and from her heart...one that was VERY big and loving! I miss her.

Postscript from Jan:
Yes, we were so very fortunate to be "borned" to our particular Mother and Father. Both loved and cared for us to the very very best of their ability, and NEVER shirked their responsibility. I was the really fortunate one to be home with them the most through the years. Yea Texas! We had so much fun (??) with our projects in their house. I would come up from the valley for long weekends and we would paint - Mother and I with paint brushes, Daddy doing all the scut work. What a team!! Then afterward, drinks and grilling in the back yard. We did all the yellow antiqued furniture - and boys, remember the green antiqued furniture also? Then all the house walls, so I come by my painting skills from parents. Wish I had them to help me now!

Postscript from David:
Yeah, the one about Big Daddy got to me .. I sit here in tears . . . . All the hard times, headaches, and heartaches I gave my wonderful Father. Damn, I'd take it all back right this minute for another 10 with him, just to let him know, I mean KNOW, how much of him is ME, David Gregory Henson, and how I am glad he saved my life, literally, one dark Christmas Eve night in nineteen hundred and forty-seven. Ruined Santa for Janis Ellen and IB III, that's for sure!! But hey, look how wonderfully I've turned out, and how, without a thought, I got to be 63 years old. Now, family, THAT'S a miracle of the Lord (as Mema would say)!

No comments:

Post a Comment