Monday, June 28, 2010

The right shoes (and insoles)

A couple of weeks ago, after six months of running 3-4 miles almost every day, I began to have knee issues--like, serious enough to prevent me from running. I decided it was happening because I needed new running shoes, so I ordered these ultra-cushiony, high-stability Asics and some expensive insoles to replace my three-year-old running shoes.

The first time I ran with my new shoes, the insoles felt kind of stiff, not cushiony like I was used to, but I did my run anyway--big mistake. They really messed up my knee, and I had to stop running for another entire week.

Last weekend I cruised the local running shoe stores and bought some even more expensive (but a lot more cushiony) insoles. I started running again three days ago, and miracle of mircles, THEY WORK! I've run three miles for the last three days and I've had pain at all.

Moral of story: Always buy the right insoles. Superfeet Premium Insoles bad. NewBalance Pressure Relief insoles good. I also learned from this experience that I tend to take my legs for granted when they are working properly. I need to appreciate all of my working parts more.

And in related news,
in today's Tribune there was an article that reported on a study about how exercise during your high school years is directly related to dementia in your later years. If you played sports or exercised regularly in high school, you are far less likely to develop dementia. The study also found that regular exercise at any stage of life wards off a decline in cognitive function. So, I figure running now means clearer thinking when I'm 80. And you guys will think clearly well into your 100's. Pretty good deal.

2 comments:

  1. I totally had knee pain for months training up to my first 10K over a year ago- and just like you it was completely because of my shoes! Of course, I went the opposite direction and instead of buying cushioned shoes with insoles, I went for the barefoot alternative. :-) It's amazing what the right equipment can do! And it reminds me of that spoken word song that said "be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone". So true, so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't (yet) have knee pain, but they crackle (not pop...it's like crunchy, ech) when I bend down. Insoles, ehe? Also, I got all of the books you sent. I need to finish the one I'm reading now then we can start one of the new ones. 'Citing!

    ReplyDelete